[Wien] finding density of states for individual bands

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 12 09:38:11 CEST 2020

Actually, this should not be a problem for a dense k-mesh. Dense mehes
have mostly "general k-points"(kx,ky,kz all different) and thus no
symmetry. Such "bands" always split due to the non-crossing rule since
all eigenvalues have the same irrep.

Crossing-/anti-crossing is important only along high-symmetry
lines/points, but a "DOS" originates mostly from the volume of the BZ,
not from high-symmetry points.

PS: I must however admit, that I'm rather skeptical of "bandwise
analysis". I'd prefer "energy-ranges" for analysis (analyse the partial
DOS for dominating reagions of a certain partial DOS and run lapw2
(maybe EFG-split) for this energy region.

This could produce an analysis (eg. for a distorted octahedron) like:
The distorted "t2g"-like bands contribute by +2 V/m**2 to the EFG, while
the "eg"-like states contribute with -4 V/m**2, ......