[Wien] qtl: error reading parallel vectors

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Oct 25 01:19:25 CEST 2020

Regarding [1], I did expect that you would have to submit the commands
within your job script via the SLURM workload manager on your system
with something like [5,6]

      sbatch my_job_script.job

      or by whatever method you have to use on your system. Where, the
commands at [7] are in the job file, such as:

      my_job_script.job

      -------------------------------------

      #!/bin/bash

      # ...

      run_lapw -p
      x -qtl -p -telnes
      x telnes3

system that check if they are encountering the same problem that you are
having.

     [5]
https://www.hpc2n.umu.se/documentation/batchsystem/basic-submit-example-scripts

     [6] https://doku.lrz.de/display/PUBLIC/WIEN2k

     [7]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg20597.html

Regarding [2], good to read that mpi parallel with "x -qtl -p -telnes"
works fine on your system with Vanadium Dioxide (VO2). If you have
control of what nodes the calculation will run on, does the VO2 run fine
on your 1st node (e.g., x073 [8]) with multiple cores of a single CPU,
then does it run fine on the 2nd node (e.g., x082) with multiple cores
of a single CPU?  I have read at [9] that some schedule managers
automatically assign the nodes on the fly such that the user might have
no control in some case on which nodes the job will run on.  Does the
VO2 run fine with mpi parallel using 1 processor core on node 1 and 1
processor core on node 2, if your able to control that as it may help to
narrow down the problem?

     [8]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg20617.html

     [9] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/pbs.html

Regarding [3], the output you posted looks as expected.  So nothing
wrong with that.

     In the past, I posted in the mailing list some things that I found
helpful for troubleshooting parallel issues, but you would have to
search the mailing list to find them.  I believe a couple of them may
have been at the following two links:

   [10]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17973.html

   [11]
http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2018-April/027944.html

Lastly, I have now tried a WIEN2k 19.2 calculation using mpi parallel on
my system with the struct file at
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg20645.html .

It looks like it ran fine when it was set to run on two of the four
processors on my system:

username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ ls ~/wiendata/scratch
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ ls
diamond.struct
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ init_lapw -b
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ cat $WIENROOT/parallel_options
setenv TASKSET "no"
if ( ! $?USE_REMOTE ) setenv USE_REMOTE 1
if ( ! $?MPI_REMOTE ) setenv MPI_REMOTE 1
setenv WIEN_GRANULARITY 1
setenv DELAY 0.1
setenv SLEEPY 1
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ cat .machines
1:localhost:2
granularity:1
extrafine:1
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ run_lapw -p
in cycle 11    ETEST: .0001457550000000   CTEST: .0033029
hup: Command not found.
STOP  LAPW0 END
STOP  LAPW1 END

real    0m6.744s
user    0m12.679s
sys    0m0.511s
STOP LAPW2 - FERMI; weights written
STOP  LAPW2 END

real    0m1.123s
user    0m1.785s
sys    0m0.190s
STOP  SUMPARA END
STOP  CORE  END
STOP  MIXER END
ec cc and fc_conv 1 1 1

 >   stop
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ cp
$WIENROOT/SRC_templates/case.innes diamond.innes
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ x qtl -p -telnes
running QTL in parallel mode
calculating QTL's from parallel vectors
STOP  QTL END
6.5u 0.0s 0:06.77 98.3% 0+0k 928+8080io 4pf+0w
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ cat diamond.inq
0 2.20000000000000000000
1
1 99 1 0
4 0 1 2 3
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ x telnes3
STOP TELNES3 DONE
3.2u 0.0s 0:03.39 98.8% 0+0k 984+96io 3pf+0w
username at computername:~/wiendata/diamond$ ls -l ~/wiendata/scratch
total 624
-rw-rw-r-- 1 username username      0 Oct 24 15:40 diamond.vector
-rw-rw-r-- 1 username username 637094 Oct 24 15:43 diamond.vector_1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 username username      0 Oct 24 15:44 diamond.vectordn
-rw-rw-r-- 1 username username      0 Oct 24 15:44 diamond.vectordn_1