[Wien] ssh command in Wien2k scripts

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Sep 13 06:17:58 CEST 2020

A good IT admin should know the ins and outs their own particular
computer system such that they should be able to better advise you on a
solution for environmental variable passing for their specific system.

You may want to have that IT admin work for their paycheck.  At least
according to [1], an IT admin on average is compensated $110k per year.

I don't see a lot of information provided about the computer system such
as its configuration and policy for usage.  If you can provide in-depth
knowledge about your computer system that your IT admin would already
now about or could gather from the system, we might be able to provide
more specific advice.  For example, it can be quite typical for cluster
computer systems to disallow running commands directly on the main node
and running such commands there can sometimes even lead to getting
banned from using the computer system.  Instead, the commands are
committed to compute nodes with a schedule (queue) system which may be
tasked with propagating the environmental variables to the computation
nodes.  Some queue systems can require a special flag in the job script
to get the environmental variables to the compute node(s). For
additional details on such a case, see the post:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17562.html

So it may be possible for a command to fail when executed on the main
node that may run fine when submitted to queue system (such as PBS,
slurm, etc. [3]) with a script such as your command:

ssh vsli2 'echo $WIENROOT'

[1] https://www.theladders.com/salary/it-systems-administrator-salary

[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17562.html