[Wien] Occupying high energy states without FERMI error

Guoping Zhang gpzhang.physics at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:20:27 CEST 2020

Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thank you very much for your reply!

This is very helpful.

Let me focus on my current approach, without considering PE or BSE, so
I can better explain what I am doing.

1.  I create an excited state distribution (single particle picture)
by removing some electrons from valence bands to conduction bands,
just like TDDFT calculation. This is fed into lapw2.F to overwrite weigh.

For instance, around "FERMI level", my weight file looks like this.
   Energy           K-weight x occupuation
 -7.006876394079   0.13707228701714D-02
 -7.005370729925   0.13708743753079D-02
 -7.005042197147   0.13709258712878D-02
 -6.955685793309   0.13706667569952D-02
 -6.954117252455   0.13704002422584D-02
 -6.954115357204   0.13698089586212D-02
 -5.936189328670   0.13710737741162D-02
 -5.707575434173   0.13678085576708D-02
 -4.187063164686   0.13624145475869D-02
 -4.185285376071   0.13627677058236D-02
  0.561216622892   0.13159990040964D-02
  0.571698115465   0.12841250626557D-02
  0.572675622534   0.12920402275963D-02
  0.581408911740   0.12929368390139D-02
  0.587122479196   0.12638067890570D-02 <---Nominal "Fermi level"
  0.624650919328   0.11575060746309D-03
  0.629635584357   0.58852070187352D-04
  0.635765764218   0.76069983586581D-04
  0.664550772055   0.79231428253519D-04
  0.667904320058   0.41660338621999D-04
  0.702333139421   0.95709602531662D-04
  2.200294635520   0.25778331730391D-04
  2.214731483047   0.47148654345984D-04
  2.277512135430   0.18778395329644D-03
  2.281816619070   0.18308654544186D-03

2. I carry out a self-consistent calculation with the above fixed
weight but with a lower charge convergence criterion -cc, with two choices.

(a)  If I directly run with case.inm (first line),
MSR1   0.000 YES

Wien gives  FERMI ERROR, since it finds few electrons than RNTOT.

(b) However, if I put the difference between  NOS(1) and RNTOT
into case.inm like,

MSR1   0.600 YES

WIEN runs without FERMI ERROR.

So my questions are, (1) How does LAPW2 include the background charge
from case.inm which is supposed to be used in the mixing? (2) is
my approach (b) meaningful?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Best wishes,

Guoping