[Wien] How to set a specific spin state

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 28 13:40:05 CEST 2020

Hi,

We do "self-consistent" calculations. This means that in most cases, the
electronic configuration of the atoms does not matter.

Only in some magnetic cases, the results may depend on the starting
configuration, and you may be able to obtain a high-spin and low-spin
solution, depending on the starting density (The same happens with the
magnetic order, i.e. ferro-magnetic vs. different anti-ferromagnetic
ordering).

Thus, all we specify in case.inst is the number of spin-up and spin-dn
electrons, but we do NOT select a particular d-orbital. Remember, lstart
produces anyway only spherical densities.

So for the low-spin state of Co put the same number of up and dn
electrons into case.inst, for the high-spin state, start with a large
atomic moment.
The specific occupation of t2g or eg will come out automatically in the
scf prodedure.

Second question:   lstart was a non-spinpolarized code (and the input is
still in a non-spinpolarized way, i.e. it is given in a relativistic
notation, but the spin-occupation is defined without considering the
spin-orbit coupling). Thus you cannot calculate a "proper" spin-state in
lstart (with spin-orbit coupling).
All what lstart gives is a spherical !! spin-density, which gives the
desired spin moment when integrated over space.

This is all we need as an input for the scf cycle.

PS: With PBE+U you can manipulate the density matrix and then force
eventually the occupation of certain d-orbitals. (There should be