[Wien] Improving k-mesh/RKMAX etc

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:55:09 CEST 2021

This type of question has come up many times, so let me expand/clarify what
Peter said.

In general, you can optimize positions and converge the density using a
smaller number of k-points and also a smaller RKMAX. You then save this
density and improve both the k-points and RKMAX, and sometimes also the
RMTs (using reduce_rmt_lapw with the "-a" option). In most cases the forces
only change by a few mRyd/au. While the energy and how much of the density
is within the RMTs will change, normally it will converge in these
"improved" runs in a small (5-10) number of iterations. This is much less
than the 20-50 that are normally required to converge from atomic densities
[1].

The reason that Peter recommended saving the prior run is just in case
something goes wrong. (Even experienced useres sometimes mess up!)

[1] If you need more than 50 iterations to converge just the densities
(fixed positions), you may have something wrong with your model.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 8:22 AM Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

> What do you mean by "can I wait for scf convergence with 4 k-points in a
> new folder ????
>
> Even in a new folder:   NEVER do an   init_lapw
> again, but always use the previous saved files.
>
> mkdir new
> cd new
> cp ../relaxed_4k-points.* .
> restore relaxed_4k-points
>
> x kgen    with better k-mesh
>
> runsp_lapw ...

> Betreff:        Query about denser k-mesh for calculating more accurate
> total
> energy/unit cell
> Datum:  Mon, 9 Aug 2021 17:58:13 +0530
> Von:    shamik chakrabarti <shamik15041981 at gmail.com>
> An:     pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
>

> Dear Prof. Blaha,
>                                As has been discussed in the wien2k
> mailing list I am following your advice regarding the structure
> optimization & steps to be followed after runsp_lapw -fc 1.0 -ec 0.0001
> -cc 0.0001 -min.
>
>    save_lapw relaxed_4k-points   (if not already done)
> x kgen   with as many k-points as you want.
> runsp ...   (first without -min, because most likely the forces will not
> change with the bigger k-mesh).  --
>
> Here I have a query. Can I wait till the convergence is achieved with 4
> k points (during total energy calculation in a new folder)& then (after
> convergence with 4 k points) increase the k-points to 14 k points?
>
> with regards,
>
> Dr. Shamik Chakrabarti
> Research Fellow
> Department of Physics