[Wien] converting struct file into CIF formant

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:10:46 CEST 2021

Prof. Marks,

Appreciate the warning and rhetorical questions.

I downloaded your "ct1c00630_si_002.zip" file at [1] and extracted
1x1.cif from it.

I opened it in the Windows 64-bit Edition of VESTA version 3.5.7 and
exported it from VESTA as a .cif.

Indeed, that VESTA version takes the 8 places after the decimal point
and truncates the atomic positions to 6 places.

I also uploaded the 1x1.cif in the Structure Data Converter & Editor of
Bilbao Crystallographic Server [2] and it could not read the Symmetry
Operations from the cif and truncated to 5 places.

                                                          For example,
your .cif: Ti001  z=0.20224167

VESTA exported .cif: Ti001  z=0.202242

 From Bilbao's "Export to Standard CIF format" button: Ti001 z=0.20224

Should significant digits [2] be of concern, I will have to copy the
value from StructGen for example and use a text editor [4] to adjust the
exported .cif from those software programs.  Or perhaps a software
program like publCIF [5] or EnCIFer [6] would work instead of a text
editor to edit the .cif.  Or I could use WIEN2k's .struct to .cif
converter command "x struct2cif" (or "x cif2struct" to go the opposite
way) described in the WIEN2k usersguide [7] as you have already mentioned.

[1] https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jctc.1c00630
[2] https://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs/mcif2vesta/index.php
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors