[Wien] Confusion regarding the convergence of a supercell and the parallel calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Feb 13 11:28:28 CET 2021

Forces of 6 mRy/bohr are in general still small. You may do an
optimization, but unless you have some very weak bonds, not much will
happen.

Convergence and k-mesh:  For larger cells, it is typical that people
start with MUCH TOO large RKMAX/k-meshes. Always start with small
parameters and checkout later.
Small params: RKMAX depends on your elements and RMT radii. You have
some ABX3 compound, so I suppose your smallest sphere is O(and you have
followed the recommendations by setrmt). In this case, I'd certainly
start with eg. RKMAX=6 (maybe even 5.5 for an even larger supercell).
All optimizations/forces, .. can be done with this value. At the end,
you increase RKMAX to 7 and checkout if eg. forces/ band gaps, moments,
... have changed.
Of course, if your smallest atom would be a 3d transition metal, you
should better start with RKMAX 7 - 7.5 and definitely check with 8 - 9.

Please checkout our   faq page at www.wien2k.at on that topic.

k-mesh: for a 1-2 atom system, you would do 10000 - 500 k-points (metal
- insulator). If you have 80 atoms (and an insulator ?) you can divide
this number by ~80. So your first k-mesh could be something like 2x3x2.
Again, at the end (or for a DOS), you would probably double the mesh and
check your results. But in particular the forces will not change.

Parallelization:  using OMP_NUM_THREADS=40   is complete nonsense.

A general hint for all NEW wien2k users:

READ THE USERSGUIDE (maybe even twice). Put it next to your bed and
every evening you read 10-20 pages !!!  Only then you may understand
what the code can do and how to do it.

READ our   www.wien2k.at   site (registered users:  faq pages,..;
workshops: look at the (basic) videos and do all the exercises yourself

In the UG it will tell you what the maximum OMP_NUM_THREAD could be.

Another tipp about parallelization: run a single scf cycle with
different OMP_NUM_THREADS and check out the timing in case.dayfile. Then
you know what your system can do.
Second parallelization is over k-points. Why do you use just 2 of your
cores ?? Use as many as you have k-points (for small k-grid).

In general: don't ask others for details (which they cannot answer
specifically, since they don't know your system. BUT:  Make your OWN
COMPUTER EXPERIMENTS. Test different thing and analyse/evaluate what is
good/necessary/....