[Wien] Query regarding Hubbard U for Ti in TiO2

Karel Vyborny vybornyk at fzu.cz
Mon Feb 22 21:35:13 CET 2021

Dear Shamik,
it is perhaps a better idea not to try to _calculate_ the U but rather,
use the arguments of the Hu&Metiu article you mentioned (J Phys Chem C 115,
5841) for either hybrid functionals or GGA+U with values Hu&Metiu argue to
give a reasonable gap, reaction energies etc. A quick GGA calculation for
TiO2 shows that already within the sphere of Ti atoms, there's significantly
more than 18 electrons (which would correspond to nominal Ti^4+) so it is
wrong to think about ni=nj=0 (in terms of what you write below). If you
wish to convince yourself (personally, I'm all in for being skeptical!)
that some particular GGA+U calculations make sense, try comparing more
physical quantities (optical or photoemission spectra for example) to
anything that is available on the experimental side.

Best regards,

Karel

--- x ---
dr. Karel Vyborny