[Wien] case.inkram

Karel Vyborny vybornyk at fzu.cz
Sun Jan 17 19:30:17 CET 2021

There seems to be one aspect missing in the answers so far: the effect of
disorder. The width of the Drude peak is basically inversely proportional
to carrier lifetime and this, in turn, depends on how close is the system
in question to a perfect crystal.
  While the typical values 0.1 eV (for metals) and 0.05 eV (semiconductors)
on p. 20 of "instructions of the exercises"

http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/events/ws2017/notes/Laskowski_optic-xas.pdf

may often be a reasonable guess, the actual lifetimes in a specific sample
depend on its quality (is it a monocrystal? are there many defects? at
what temperature? etc.)  There is no "universal" value for low temperature
carrier lifetime in a given material - a sample of the same metal can have
Gamma of several 10's of meV and conceivably many 100's of meV may not be
enough in a different sample.
  The bottomline: in the context of the intraband part of optical spectra
for a given material, the plasma frequency is "a universal material
parameter" (it can be evaluated for a perfect crystal) while the Gamma
parameter is sample-dependent and is best adjusted to a specific
experimental data.

Best regards,

KV

--- x ---