[Wien] Regarding BoltzTraP2 for spin polarized materials

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 01:12:52 CEST 2021

If you are referring to classical BoltzTraP (e.g., version 1.2.5), I
have not seen any support recently for that and past support was very
limited.

If you are referring to BoltzTraP2 that the developers replaced the
classical BoltzTraP with, that is supported over in BoltzTraP Google
group.  For joining that, see the BoltzTraP2 webpage at:

https://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at/forschungsbereich_theoretische_chemie/forschungsgruppen/prof_dr_gkh_madsen_theoretical_materials_chemistry/boltztrap2/

The BoltzTraP2 developer uses VASP, so transport calculation with that
are the most mature.  There has been a lot of interest in use of Quantum
Espresso but the types of calculations that can done with that are still
limited and are being worked on.

I haven't seen many WIEN2k users posting in the the Google group,
especially WIEN2k experts.  So BoltzTraP2 calculations with WIEN2k are
still quite limited.  If I recall correctly, it has implemented handling
of regular non-spin polarized, regular non-spin polarized with spin
orbit, and regular spin polarized.

However, other more advanced calculations such as spin polarized with
spin orbit, hf, and so on with it are questionable.  There are some
tricks that can be done to push the data through the BoltzTraP2 program
for at least some of those but they have not been confirmed if they are
working correctly or not.  Thus, it requires one's own scientific
expertise to ensure that is not just GIGO [1] that is producing.  Of
course, if one finds an interface to be incomplete or not implemented,
they could write their own. The BoltzTraP2 have a tutorial wiki page
that has an example for making such an interface, which is at [2].

The BolzTraP2 Google group has many past BoltzTraP2 conversion posts
that you could search through and read.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_in,_garbage_out
[2] https://gitlab.com/sousaw/BoltzTraP2/-/wikis/siesta