[Wien] errors @ wien2k_21.1 compilation

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:37:05 CEST 2021

See
https://www.google.com/search?q=locale%3A+Cannot+set+LC_CTYPE+to+default+locale%3A+No+such+file+or+directory

1) If it is a cluster, ask the sys_admin
2) Reinstall/update your OS
3) Check your .bashrc and similar
4) Post to one of those lists. I know enough to know this is a problem, but
not enough to solve the issue. This is certainly not the right list for
help on this, it is an OS problem.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:25 AM venky ch <chvenkateshphy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Prof. Marks,
>
> thanks for your reply. I have searched in the internet and tried to solve
> it.  But yet it is not solved . Whenever I tried with " export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/glibc-2.14/build ", there is an error
> as shown in below. Can you suggest me what are steps to be followed to
> solve this issue. I am also requesting wien2k users to help me to solve
> this issue.
>
> thanks
>
> venkatesh
> =============
>
> [isuch at delta-cluster ~]$ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/glibc-2.14/build
> [isuch at delta-cluster ~]$ locale
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
> [isuch at delta-cluster ~]$
>

>  /etc/environment  is empty
>
>  /usr/bin contains locale
>

> echo "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" > /etc/locale.gen
> echo "fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8" >> /etc/locale.gen
> locale-gen
>
> but don't have the locale.gen file at /etc/
>

> echo "LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8" >> /etc/environment
> echo "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" >> /etc/locale.gen
> echo "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" > /etc/locale.conf
> locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
>

> but don't have the locale.conf file at /etc/
>

> ===========
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 2:14 PM Laurence Marks <laurence.marks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> You have serious problems with how your computer/cluster is setup. These
>> need to be resolved for Wien2k to work, and for many other things as well.
>>
>> The most obvious one is your locale, which you almost certainly cannot
>> cure by just using the -no-multibyte-chars flag.
>>
>> You can look it up, but briefly, most code is written for the Latin
>> alphabet which fits into 256 ASCII code, i.e 1 byte. Computers can use
>> other alphabets, but these can require more than one byte. This can work
>> for some things, but many others can fail. I very much doubt that Wien2k
>> (including the parts for w2web, python and others) will work beyond English
>> or similar languages (French, German etc). It probably does not work with
>> Russian, Japanese, Chinese or Korean alphabets -- maybe someone can
>> confirm. What language is your computer set to?

> [...]

Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu
else has thought" Albert Szent-Györgyi