[Wien] Correlation energy in DFT+U

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jun 12 15:19:40 CEST 2021

Let me add just 2 comments:

a) As far as I can remember, the authors of the nldau=2 model explained
that in their paper. Probably in the double counting term they assume a
non-spinpolarized LDA. You may also have a look at the textbook section
on www.wien2k.at and read the articles by P. Novak. Maybe he has more on
this.

b) Let me remind you, that there is also EECE (hybrid-DFT) for
"correlated electrons". This version of hybrid-DFT uses an atomic onsite
approximation for the exact-exchange (HF) term only for the correlated
electrons (Ni-3d). It would not work for Si, but the big advantage is
that it is as fast as LDA+U.

And while in LDA+U you have U, J and the double counting as
"parameters", in EECE it is only alpha, i.e. the amount of HF exchange,
which probably savely can be left at 0.25.

Of course, with LDA+U you have much more "flexibility" to reach the
result you like ...

Regards

Peter Blaha

Am 12.06.2021 um 11:56 schrieb Lorenzo Mariano:
> Thanks a lot, now it is clear.
>
> A last question concerning the use of the "Mean field Hubbard model" (nldau=2). In the file vldau.f it is specified that this implementation of DFT+U has to be used with LDA and not LSDA. Despite that, I can run spin-polarized calculation with this DFT+U flavor and the code does not complain. In addition, in the vldau.f file, the MFH method seems to be implemented for spin-polarized calculations.
> Could you please tell me if it makes sense to run a spin-polarized calculation with nldau=2 and if yes how can I do that properly?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Lorenzo

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email: peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:   http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at      WIEN2k: http://www.wien2k.at