[Wien] Constraining position in case.inM

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 27 08:09:38 CET 2021

> I have another query;
>
> If I want to vary only x coordinate while maintaining y & Z coordinate
> to the same value of x, what should I do?
>
> As an example in the desired structure, I want to have (x, x,x) & want
> to vary the only x, what should be the process?

This depends on your structure and symmetry. Most likely, the position
(x,x,x) is "fixed" by symmetry to have 3 equal values. You can see this
eg. from your forces, that this atom has only ONE force component (LM=1
0) and a local rotation matrix putting the z-axis into 111 direction.

In such a case you have to break symmetry. This means: in a new
directory, change (x,x,x) manually to (x,y,y) (and similary to
equivalent atoms if Mult gt.1). Then do    init_lapw.
(It could be that positions become inequivalent by this procedure and
you will get more non-equivalent atoms).
Then check your symmetry (eg. in case.outputs, if the position has a
symmetry such that y and z must be identical, or if they can move freely
(check eg. the LM-list in case.outputs: if they include 3 L=1 terms,
they are independent, if they have only 2 L=1 values, they are fixed to
be identical.

This will allow to manipulate x and y,y (or y,z) individually.