[Wien] MPI error

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu May 20 21:10:12 CEST 2021

As Laurence Marks mentioned, looking into all files you proposed, would
cost a couple of hours. You have to check these files yourself and solve
the problem or at least extract the most important information.

A few remarks:
>       > You need to link with the blacs library for openmpi.
>     I unsuccessfully recompiled wien2k by linking with the blacs library
>     for openmpias “mkl_blacs_openmpi_lp64” due to gfortran errors.

The compile messages show that the serial version was compiled with
ifort (and also the compiler options are for ifort). For mpi you used
mpif90, however, this links to gfortran. Your compiler options for ifort
are of course not compatible with this.
You need a different mpi-compiler, which links to ifort (maybe mpifort,
this is what we have for our openmpi+ifort installation (with one i
only!!) I would retry the installation but with mpifort as mpi-compiler)

>     The openmpi and fftw of the cluster are compiled with gfortran. So I
>     have also installed openmpi 4.1.0 and fftw3.3.9 in my home directory
>     after loading ifort and icc with the following commands:

Compilation looks ok, but:
your own openmpi is configured only for Gbit ethernet, not for
Infiniband (please "read" the error message). If you really want to use
your own openmpi, it needs to be configured for Infiniband.

In any case, a "good" supercomputer system should have "compatible"
modules and you have to select the proper modules, which work together.

I'm pretty sure that everything is there what you need, but it looks
that none of the sys-admins can really help or knows the details,
how/which modules one should use and which commands one should use.