[Wien] qtl

reyhaneh ebrahimi reyhanehebrahimi52 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:15:37 CET 2021

Dear Prof. Blaha and Prof. Gerhard

Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my email.

>And of course there must be a spin-orbit splitting into 5/2 and 7/2
Would you please help me to knowing that why this should be happened in the
Gd atoms of GdAl2 compound?
I explain my problem again briefly. About crystal field theory we expected
that there is no splitting in Gd atoms in its ground state, as can be seen
in this link: "
*https://www.mediafire.com/view/vklrkmb4cc2c5c7/crystal.jpeg/file
<https://www.mediafire.com/view/vklrkmb4cc2c5c7/crystal.jpeg/file>*  "
But as mentioned in my first E-mail when I plot the DOS using "qtl"
program, we see the splitting in f orbital of Gd in GdAl2 compound as can
be seen from this link : "
*https://www.mediafire.com/view/94j0289p08sz69c/qtl.jpg/file
<https://www.mediafire.com/view/94j0289p08sz69c/qtl.jpg/file>*  " .

>look at your core eigenvalues for l=1 or 2
Would you please explain me more about this sentence? I found the core
states of my compound for this purpose and saw the eigenvalues in this
file. I attached this file in the "
*https://www.mediafire.com/file/7xvyyk2z6icauxr/core.txt/file
<https://www.mediafire.com/file/7xvyyk2z6icauxr/core.txt/file>* " link. But
unfortunately I do not know how can I use from this file to solving or
better understanding  the answer of my problem.

>but they should be completely occupied for one spin and thus the total L
is zero.
Would you please help me to know why this should be happened, I mean why
they should be completely occupied for one spin?

Thank you very much in advance
Sincerely yours,
Reyhaneh