[Wien] new script optimize_abc_lapw

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 15 18:35:14 CEST 2021

I think (hope) the parallelization of this script is well described in
the UG or simply in the "online help" using -h switch. It has multiple
options and levels for parallelization:

psi11:/psi11/scratch> optimize_abc -h
USAGE: optimize_abc [-h -t 2/3 -sp -p  -n X  -FC X  -d X  -ctest X Y Z
-ana X  -j "run_lapw -p ..." ]
optimizes a,(b),c lattice parameters
-p      requires the presence of .machines (single jobstep) and
         .machines_1...4 (9) for 4 (9) parallel jobsteps in the 2D (3D) case

The script makes a scf calculation for the present lattice parameter in
the case directory. This calculation uses the standerd  .machines file
when specifying "run_lapw -p" as job.

However, then it has to make changes in 4 (or 9 for the 3Dcase)
directions. This can be done in serial or in parallel (using the -p
switch of optimize_abc). So with -p it will span 4 (9) run_lapw jobs in
parallel.
If you still have more cores available, you can in addition supply
.machines_1, .machines_2, ...4 (9) files.

So suppose you have 4 nodes with 16 cores each, you could put into each
of these .machine_X files 16 different cores (eg. in mpi), but run 4 mpi
jobs in parallel.
In addition you create a .machines with all 64 cores for the "starting
job" (at least if it is still efficient for your example. Remember: a
very small cell will run MUCH LONGER in mpi with 64 cores (or even
crash) then on fewer cores.

The "task" parallelization is MUCH more efficient then heavy mpi
parallelization.