[Wien] LDA+U (on p orbital)?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 18 22:05:41 CEST 2022

As was discussed before, I do not see any proper physics to include U
for p states. I claim, they are not so localized that PBE+U is justified.

In addition, in LAPW we apply U only inside the sphere and we also
calculate V_orb from the occupation numbers. If, however, a p-charge of
a fully occupied orbital inside the sphere is only a fairly small
fraction of one, you may even get a "wrong" shift.

Eg. in MgO (depending on RMT) only 4.3 e are inside spheres (instead of
6), and since the potential is calculated from U*(1/2-n_i), your shift
will be less than half then it would be with a different definition of
the density matrix.