[Wien] Extracting wave functions

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 21 11:40:56 CEST 2022

Hi,
So basically option c) of my previous email is what you want.

Just to make clear:
> Thank you for your detailed reply. By wavefunctions, I mean exactly the
> eigenvectors. Though the coefficients are written in vector files or
> case.out by putting WFPR1 in case.in1, the basis set is formed by the
> APW-basis function. Specific to our problem, we want to calculate the
> eigenvectors in the basis of local orbitals (e.g xy,x2-y2,z2,px,py...)
> as given in the inst file. We understand that it is there in some way as
> the orbital projected band structure and DOS cannot be calculated
> otherwise. Is there any way to find out these eigenvectors.?

No, you don't want the eigenvectors.
You want the wave function inside the spheres (remember, these "local
orbitals" - better name would be the projection onto spherical harmonics
-  are only defined inside the atomic spheres). They are obtained by
multiplication of the eigenvectors c_i with the basis functions.

Specifically, inside spheres:

psi(r)^(atomic sphere) = sum(lm){  [A_lm u_l(r) + B_lm u-dot(r) + C_lm
u2(r) ] Y_lm }

The "ALM" option writes these A_lm, B_lm, C_lm and the corresponding
radial functions (u, ..) to a file.

Remember, depending on the character of a certain state, the psi^(atomic
sphere) could sometimes be only a small fraction of the total psi.