[Wien] confusion regarding band structure of Graphene

xavier rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Dec 30 16:30:51 CET 2022

One more point the negative electrode is usually graphite and not graphene.

To estimate a voltage you need a positive electrode.

Estimating the voltage implies to properly treat not only the negative
but the positive electrode materials and with the same functional.

Best regards

Xavier

On 30/12/2022 16:26, xavier rocquefelte wrote:

> Dear Shamik
>
> I certainly did not follow all the discussion but it seems to me that
> your objective is reachable if you properly define your parameters.
>
> You mention that the band structure is finally not the essential point
> and you want to have a proper estimation of the voltage.
>
> Here are two well-known problems:
>
> - Li batteries voltage estimation is usually wrong and corrections
> must be applied (depending on the functional). I recommend the
> publications of Ceder's group.
>
> - The choice of the functional may be crucial and for carbon GGA is
> sometimes not the best.
>
> I will thus recommend first to choose your functional by estimating
> properly the band structure of the hexagonal cell of graphene and only
> after switch to the monoclinic cell to estimate the voltage.
>
> Best regards
>
> Xavier
>
> On 30/12/2022 15:51, shamik chakrabarti wrote:
>> Dear Prof. Blaha,
>>
>>                     I think the structure as used by me & as can be
>> used by downloading Graphene CIF file from material project database
>> are same with different representation. I have checked the XRD of
>> both the structures in VESTA & they are providing the same XRD
>> pattern for both the structures. In this regard lithiation voltage
>> for both the cases should be same. However the bandstructures need
>> special k points which is available for hexagonal lattice & not for
>> this monoclinic lattice. However, if the voltage is accurate I will
>> not bother for the band structure.
>>
>> with kind regards,
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 at 19:08, shamik chakrabarti
>> <shamik15041981 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Specially if I want LiC6 unit cell?...
>>
>>     On Fri, Dec 30, 2022, 18:47 shamik chakrabarti
>>     <shamik15041981 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>         Dear Prof. Blaha,
>>          .   .   .  .  .  .  Thank you for your reply Sir. I have a
>>         very dumb question. Whether the voltage simulated by this
>>         attached structure will provide the same as will be provided
>>         by the single unit cell?
>>
>>         With kind regards,
>>
>>         On Fri, Dec 30, 2022, 18:03 Peter Blaha
>>         <peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>>
>>             This is not the smallest unit cell of graphene but a 3
>>             times larger
>>             monoclinic cell.
>>
>>             Start with graphite, remove the atoms at the second
>>             z=0.75 layer and
>>             eventually add some vacuum along z.
>>

>>             Am 29.12.2022 um 18:34 schrieb shamik chakrabarti:
>>             > The structure of monolayer Graphenbe as I have used is
>>             attached for your
>>             > reference.
>>             >
>>             > On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 at 18:32, shamik chakrabarti
>>             > <shamik15041981 at gmail.com
>>             <mailto:shamik15041981 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>             >
>>             >     Dear Wien2k users,
>>             >
>>             >                              I have simulated a
>>             structure of Graphene
> [...]

Professeur des Universités de Rennes 1
Institut des Sciences Chimiques de Rennes (ISCR)
Univ Rennes - CNRS - UMR6226, France
https://iscr.univ-rennes1.fr/xavier-rocquefelte