[Wien] Ab inition and DFT

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:49:38 CEST 2022

You may want to go by how Karlheinz Schwarz describes them.

ab initio translates to "first principles" meaning no experimental data
is needed and just physical constants can be plugged in to solve the
theoretical equation.

The exact statement Schwarz uses in [1] is:

/The advantage of//first-principle (ab initio) methods lies in the fact
that//they can be carried out without knowing any experi//mental data of
the system. /

Wikipedia says [2]:

/Ab initio means "from first principles" or "from the beginning",
implying that the only inputs into an ab initio calculation are physical
constants./

DFT (Density Functional Theory) means a quantum mechanical model were a
many-body problem can be solved using a density functional.

The exact statements Schwarz uses in [3] are:

/In this way DFT is a universal approach to the quantum mechanical
many-body problem, where the system of interacting electrons is mapped
in a unique manner onto an effective non-interacting system that has the
same total density./

/According to DFT all that is needed is the density ρ(r) which only
depends on the position r, i.e. on three coordinates./

Wikipedia uses the words:

/Using this theory, the properties of a many-electron system can be
determined by using functionals, i.e. functions of another function. In
the case of DFT, these are functionals of the spatially dependent
electron density./

Based on the above, WIEN2k calculations can be both DFT and ab initio.

For further details, see Schwarz's publications [1,3] or you may look at
other explanations you might find in a textbook or on the Internet such
as [5,6].

[1] https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4596(03)00213-5
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab_initio_quantum_chemistry_methods
[3] http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/59108