[Wien] MMINT

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:50:42 CEST 2022

I do not think that there is a unique definition of interstitial magnetic
moments for each atom -- in APW+lo methods the interstitial states extend
over the whole cell.

The best I can think of is to use the Bader charge, i.e. use "x aim" and "x
aim -dn", take the difference (to spin resolve) then compare to the :MM for
the relevant atom.

(N.B., "x aim -up" does not look right.)

WRT your other questions, the sign of the spin without -so or a magnetic
field is not well defined, you can multiply all by -1 and nothing in the
density/energy will change.

The interstitial components do not have to have the same sign, and often do
not. Sometimes one spin state is more delocalized, hence more in the
interstitial.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University