[Wien] MMINT

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Jun 24 12:15:47 CEST 2022

If one does an AIM analysis, one has no interstitial anymore and the question "What is the sign of interstitial magnetic moment (MMINT) per atom?" does not make much sense.
If one has an interstitial, it is just nowhere defined to which atom that belongs or is distributed about the atoms.
The magnetic moment of the interstitial is just the difference between the total magnetic moment in the cell and the magnetic moments in the Muffin Tin (MT) spheres.
The latter depend on the size of the MT spheres (note: the smaller the MT spheres the larger is the interstitial region) and thus the sign of the moment in the interstitial has no meaning at all (e.g.: in anti-ferromagnets the moment of the interstitial is always Zero)
(Indeed the moments from the AIM should not depend on the MT spheres, which might be used as a kind of convergence test)

PS.: Instead of a Bader AIM analysis one can principally use any other space filling (!) partitioning of the cell (say a Wigner Seitz type construction), which will result in different moments per atom.

PSS.: Measuring "atom resolved" magnetic moments with XMCD will also have other results, because one finds the magnetic moment averaged over the extend of the core level wave functions, which covers not necessarily the same volume and region as a Wigner Seitz cell or a Bader AIM basin.

As Peter told, use a plot of the spin density. To have more insight into the problem draw also the MT spheres, the Wigner Seitz cell and the AIM basins, to see the differences. In complicated cases you may wish to use a non-collinear spin method.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Institut of Physics