[Wien] MMINT

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:35:59 CEST 2022

With respect to the original question, my response would be:

a) The :MMI values are readily available, so using them is pragmatic.

b) As discussed in Fabien's paper, a method that does not depend on the RMT
is to use the Bader volume. In the latest Wien2k you can get this from the
first number after :RHOTOT in outputaim after using "x aim -dn". (The user
guide does not describe well what this does; it uses the total density
Bader volume then integrates up-dn in this volume.)

c) A third method is to spin-resolve the Bader volume, i.e. use "x aim -d",
edit case.clmsum to case.clmup in aim.def, then run "aim aim.def". This
gives noticeably different results from b) as expected -- the spin-resolved
Bader volumes of up & dn are in general different.

d) Rigorously, similar to what Gerhard said in his first response, you have
to consider what the experiment measures. For instance, in XMCD using core
electrons it is some weight of these. Here the Bader results are probably
worse than using the values in the RMT.

In summary, my view is that the only really correct method is to match what
the experiment measures. This may not be any of a)-c)!

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University