[Wien] Charged cell versus virtual atom?

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:59:03 CEST 2022

As part of a larger problem, I need to simulate a Nb-doped SrTiO3 surface,
where 1/16 Ti sites is Nb. To first order this is 1/16 extra electrons.
There are two ways I can think of to do this:
a) Charged cell calculation, with extra electrons + background charge.
b) Virtual atom, where the Ti's have a Z of 22.0625.

Does anyone have any experience with something similar? I can think of
reasons why both have issues, e.g. the extra potential in the vacuum in a).

N.B., doing a super-duper surface cell with 1/16 Ti changed is too vast.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University