[Wien] Charged cell versus virtual atom?

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:35:44 CEST 2022

To clarify first: Nb-doped STO is commercial, with Nb on the Ti site doping
the STO n-type -- Nb is 5+ valence versus 4+ for Ti. It is known that the
carriers are delocalized.

I am interested in the near-surface band bending, both clean and with a
Shottky contact to Pt/Pd under force. This models some of the terms in the
trbolectricity of a moving Shottky diode contact. (This is bare-bones
details.)

Band bending, but also energy (to get contact forces and bulk lattice)
matter.

While having Z=22.0675 is more like V doped, it does balance the charge.
Charged cells have approximations for the total energy, and add a
background potential, which raises issues in my mind for the vacuum & Pd/Pt.

Simple approximations have ~80 total atoms, 25 unique; a more complete has
~700/190 for total/unique.

To zero'th order the two look similar, but.....

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University