[Wien] Energy difference comparison of Win2k with GPAW calculation

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyuka17 at mail.ru
Wed May 11 10:53:15 CEST 2022

11.05.2022 10:57, Gargee Bhattacharyya wrote:
> I am trying to compare barrier height for N2 dissociation on the Ru
> (0001) surface. Using GPAW, previously I have optimized N2 adsorbed Ru
> slab with N-N distance 1.242 Å and 2N adsorbed Ru slab with N-N distance
> 2.701 Å using K mesh 3*6*1. I have calculated the energy difference as:
> *1.39 eV.* My question is:
>
> 1. When I am running scf calculation with the optimized structures and
> comparing the energy difference, I am not getting the same. I have used
> the same two structures and used 3*6*1 non shifted K mesh. The total
> energy difference I found was : 0.0416 Ry = *0.57 eV*
> I am using non-spin polarized calculations and using LDA exchange
> functional.
>
> The initial structure (N2 adsorbed Ru) and final structure (2N adsorbed
> Ru) are attached herewith.
>
> It would be helpful if you let me know whether I have done anything
> wrong in the calculation so that I can compare the energy difference
> GPAW and Win2k.

In fact we cannot reassure you that you did nothing wrong, but the
difference does no seem surprising to me: these are two different
methods with different approximations. I'd say that in GPAW the
approximations are more rouph. GPAW uses frosen core, WIEN2k
recalculates it; the potential in GPAW is tabulated as far as I know.

If you google GPAW and WIEN2k you'll get a lot of comparisons, for a
quick example
https://www.nsc.liu.se/~pla/blog/2014/02/21/deltacodes/

Best wishes
Lyudmila Dobysheva
http://ftiudm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/
Institute of Physics and Technology,
Udmurt Federal Research Center, Ural Br. of Rus.Ac.Sci.
426000 Izhevsk Kirov str. 132
Russia
---
Tel. +7 (34I2)43-24-59 (office), +7 (9I2)OI9-795O (home)
Skype: lyuka18 (office), lyuka17 (home)
E-mail: lyuka17 at mail.ru (office), lyuka17 at gmail.com (home)