[Wien] No inversion symmetry in magnetic case?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 13 08:47:32 CEST 2022

Without spin-orbit coupling, magnetism is NOT connected to the lattice.
You should not think about a magnetization "direction", you may just
think about majority and minority spin (or alpha and beta), which are
not affected by spatial symmetry operations, but you should not think
about a "z-direction" and a possible flip of this direction.

You can always check your calculations using    x kgen -fbz   or x kgen
-so  and compare the results with a calculation with just x kgen
(always with the identical k-mesh).

Am 13.05.2022 um 08:36 schrieb Ruoshi Jiang:

> Dear Sir,
>
> We can add the time inversion symmetry to generate the kgen when we
> don’t have the inversion symmetry.
>
> I know it’s same when non-magnetic case.
>
> But in magnetic case, the time inversion symmetry will flip the spin
> direction, which is not same as the inversion symmetry.
>
> Can we do it the same way?
>
> In the userguide, it said the magnetic + soc is not available, what
> about the pure magnetic case?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Rossie

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at