[Wien] Question about WIEN2k and paramagnetic system

xavier rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Thu May 19 19:07:59 CEST 2022

In addition to the comments of Lyudmila and Peter I would add few
questions:

- is your system intermetallic? (is your system both involving localized
and delocalized states?)

- is the magnetic element based on 4f or 5f states? (require more than a
single-determinant treatment but in some cases can be treated
approximately using DFT+SO+U)

- which states are near the Fermi level?  (states of NM elements?)

- which simulated properties do not agree with experiments? (optical?)

Best regards
Xavier

On 19/05/2022 18:44, Lyudmila Dobysheva wrote:
> 19.05.2022 19:22, Tenzin, K. wrote:
>> I have a crystal system composed of three heavy atoms (minimum atomic
>> number of 60), one of which has quite a large magnetic moment (about
>> 10) while the other two are non-magnetic.  Experimentally, the
>> overall crystal is found to be paramagnetic but with quite large
>> magnetic moments (about 10 as well) and it is speculated to be a weyl
>> semimetal.
>> I performed DFT calculation for the crystal using wien2k (non
>> spin-polarized with MBJLDA) and some calculated properties (such as
>> quantum oscillation) do agree with experiments. But there are also
>> some properties that do not agree with experiments.
>> So my question is how do I correctly model such a crystal system,
>> paramagnetic with relatively large magnetic moment? Should I perform
>> non spin-polarized calculation and later add external magnetic field,
>> to mimic intrinsic magnetic moment, via -orb scheme?  Is it even
>> possible to run_lapw -orb for non spin polarization calculation?
>
> I'd say that making the common spin-polarized calculation should give
> you the magnetic moments, in ferromagnetic structure. To simulate
> paramagnetic, I'd construct antiferromagnetic arrangement and compare
> three energies: FM, AFM, and nonmagnetic NM which you have obtained.
> If the FM and AFM are closer to each other, as compared to the NM, you
> can think about this. For some systems the AFM is a good simulation of
> paramagnetism.
>
> Best wishes
> Lyudmila Dobysheva
> ------------------
> http://ftiudm.ru/content/view/25/103/lang,english/
> Institute of Physics and Technology,
> Udmurt Federal Research Center, Ural Br. of Rus.Ac.Sci.
> 426000 Izhevsk Kirov str. 132
> Russia
> ---
> Tel. +7 (34I2)43-24-59 (office), +7 (9I2)OI9-795O (home)
> Skype: lyuka18 (office), lyuka17 (home)
> E-mail: lyuka17 at mail.ru (office), lyuka17 at gmail.com (home)

Professeur des Universités de Rennes 1
Institut des Sciences Chimiques de Rennes (ISCR)
Univ Rennes - CNRS - UMR6226, France
https://iscr.univ-rennes1.fr/xavier-rocquefelte