[Wien] ELF

Kateryna Foyevtsova foyevtsova at phas.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 4 22:06:28 CET 2022

Hello,

since I see that VASP results are being discussed here, I'd like to
bring your attention to my communication with the VASP developers in
April this year:

https://www.vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18484

where they admitted that "the current implementation depends strongly on
the choice of the POTCAR. You can test this by using the GW POTCAR and
will find contributions from Ni 3d electrons. We believe that with this
pseudo-potential dependent ELF is not a good measure for electronic
localisation and thus want to replace this (very old) implementation in
a future release."

which means that ELF calculated in the current version (and all earlier
versions, apparently) of VASP can have errors and should not be used as
a gold standard. I think they still have not fixed that bug according to

https://www.vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18628&p=22510&hilit=elf#p22510

Best,
Kateryna

>>> http://www.wien2k.at/Depository/SnGe-g.jpg