[Wien] Problems of calculating the effective U and setting shift during the supercell procedure

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 18 11:49:16 CET 2022

Please note that this procedure is limited and gives only some estimate
of U (usually a fairly large one).

NiO: No, you don't need a shift. This shift is for surfaces or when
generating heterostructures.

Fe3Al: Why do you have 12 atoms ? Is this not an FCC structure and one
f.u. is enough. There is no need to run Fe3Al in a P lattice which is 4
times as large.

However, you can use supercell to generate from the FCC lattice a
primitive cubic one (P) and a 1x1x1 supercell. This would contain 12
atoms and is probably big enough.

Best regards

Peter Blaha

Dear WIEN2k experts and users,

> I am a beginner of WIEN2k. The version is WIEN2k_21.1. Now, I am
> learning to calculate the effective U following the note “Calculating
> the effective U in APW methods. NiO” by Georg K.H. Madsen and Pavel
> Novak. I have two problems about this topic.
>
> One is about generating a supercell. I generated the NiO.struct as the
> following: first get the NiO.cif from the external database, then by
> cif2struct to generate NiO.struct. During the supercell procedure, I
> set the numbers of xyz direction are all 2, but I am not sure how to
> set the optional shift (I think in this case I should set the optional
> shift are all 0?).
>
> The other problem is if a supercell is required when we calculate the
> effective U. I am considering the material of Fe3Al, in which exist 12
> Fe atoms. In this case, do I have to generate a supercell of Fe3Al to
> calculate the effective U of Fe? Or could I set one of Fe atoms as an
> impurity.
>
> Thank you for your reply in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yu

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at