[Wien] Error in IRelast

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:01:39 CEST 2022

I think some improvements are needed to IRelast from one of the developers:

a) Change and provide Peter with a better installation script. It seems
that there are numerous problems with this.

b) Go through the code/scripts and provide detailed user error & warnings.
These are not for the expert, rather they should be for a very novice who
understands little to no coding or Linux.

I know b) is a pain, but it is needed. I think IRelast must be close to the
top for user problems on the list!

As one example of good practice, the code could check for the existence of
an executable C_setupc1112 using, for instance, "which C_setupc1112" --
then give a readable error. (There is already a lot of this in the main
scripts.)

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University