[Wien] Clarification on Magnetic Anisotropy Energy calculations

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 23 14:14:54 CEST 2022

No, both strategies have in general 2  major flaws.

init_so determines the symmetry (using symmetso) for a specific
magnetization direction. Obviously, in most cases this will change when
you change the magnetization direction.

My recommendation: Do init_so for the first magn. direction (accept
eventual changes of symmetry/splitted atomic position/...).

Then do immediately with this struct file another init_so with the other
magnetization direction and again accept the changes.

For security: do again init_so with the original magn.direction. There
should be no change in symmetry anymore !

(If you want to do more than 2 directions, maybe you do EVERYTHING in P1
(or P-1 if symmetry allows) (split all equivalent positions (maybe
except inversion) and label the atoms (Fe1, Fe2, ..).

Once you have a common low symmetry/setup for both magn. directions:

runsp -orb -p -ec ...

x lapw1 -up  /-dn     (NO -orb !, otherwise you apply orb twice !!!!

steps 5-7 of your first strategy.
Then change the magn.direction and do again steps 5-7
In summary: You should have a common symmetry for all 3 calculations
(without so and with the 2 magn.directions.)

You must not apply   -orb   twice (in lapw1 as in the runsp calc. and
then again in lapwso )

  Regards