[Wien] Wien2k access outside local area network

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 09:55:58 CEST 2023

There are several standard methods:

1) Use ssh to login remotely, and then run commands in terminal mode or as
batch/slurm jobs.

2) Use ssh with X tunneling, then run an X-server on your local machine and
create an xterm window or similar and run or batch/slurm jobs.

3) After using ssh to login remotely, use w2web. You might need to check
with your sysadmin whether the relevant ports are open. Normally they are.
You may need a VPN connection as well.

The most common method is 3) when you are just starting; with more
experience 1) or 2).  Please read the User Guide. If you are not familiar
with ssh (Secure Shell) and the other commands I mention just Google them.

This is the correct forum to ask about using w2web.

--
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University