[Wien] Volume optimization and Eloss function.

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 08:41:01 CEST 2023

Since I haven't ran many hexagonal optimizations, I probably cannot
provide as good of advice as some of the others in the list likely could.

My first piece of advice would be to mention which particular package
you used for your optimization.  optimize, optimize_abc, or 2DRoptimize?

 From the looks of it, it is likely the 2DRoptimize.  In other words, it
could be easier when the reader doesn't have to guess or infer at what
was used.

Changing the percentage for altering the structure until you find the
minimum energy point as you have stated should be the correct procedure.

Looking at the energy vs volume I believe typically worked better for
cubic structures (e.g. volume of a^3, where a=b=c).

So, you might try looking at energy vs c/a to see if that works better
or not for finding the minimum energy point for your calculation case.

If optimize was used and option (5) VARY A and C (2D-case) (tetragonal
or hexagonal lattice) was selected, I believe it will ask for a percent
change of the c/a ratio.  If I recall correctly, w2web has an energy vs
c/a plot selection that you could try using when option (5) is selected
for the optimize program.  I think there is also a parabolfit_lapw
script that can help analyze the different degrees of freedom for a
hexagonal structure (2 lattice parameters: a and c).  Based on the
WIEN2k usersguide, it looks like a and c when using the optimize_abc
package can be controlled by the -d X argument with X needing to be the
replaced with the amount of change as a number value (in percent).

It looks like the hexagonal example in the 2Doptimize (pdf) at [1], if
that is what you were following, takes inputs for both a volume change
and c/a change as I see in the document:

*******Start for volume changes*******

Do you want to use default parameters  ?(y/n)

(-10%,-5%,0,5%,10%)

******* Start for c/a changes*******

(-4%, -2%,0,2%,4%)

In the above, the default is -10 to 10% in 5% increments.

 From your description, it looks like you changed the volume from -30%
to 20%.  However, it doesn't look like you mention which increments you
took between them. Also, is it safe or dangerous to assume that you took
the default for the c/a changes?

Let's say a physical atom has a radius, /r/.

If you view the struct file for the structure in XCrySDen, if you see
/r/, surface of the ball, of one atom (e.g., Hf) touch or overlap the
/r/ of another atom (e.g., O), then you have a bad struct file.  You
would have to fix the lattice constants or lattice angles.  For example,
that might happen if the lattice constants are entered in the struct
file in the wrong units [2,3].

If you saw the recent post at [4], you might have read how the
muffin-tin radius (RMT) > /r/ has radial functions less the RMT and
plane waves greater than RMT.

Perhaps you have also seen Figure 1 at [5] or Figure 1 in [6]
illustrating the muffin-tin and interstitial regions.

The 'NN' - overlapping spheres error will happen when the RMT of two
atoms touch or overlap each other.

If you have lattice parameters that you are not needing to optimize [7],
it is likely straightforward setting 0% in setrmt during initialization
of the calculation.

However, when doing a lattice parameter optimization you could adjust
the percentage to reduce the RMT [8] for trying to avoid later on
overlapping sphere errors.  You might recall when you went through the
TiC tutorial in the WIEN2k 23.1 usersguide on page 17 [9] it used 3% for
that example.

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/
[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg06323.html