[Wien] Speeding up calculations in parallel mose

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Aug 26 14:00:17 CEST 2023

Well, we get only part of the information each time.

You are using a 3x3x3 W supercell with H/He interstitials.

How did you initialize the calculation ?  Hopefully in the new batch
type mode with a low precision (0 or 1) !!  If not, then:

RKMAX=5.4 seems still very big for the presumably small H/He spheres.
What are the RMTs (set by the program).
If they are small (0.6-1.0 bohr), a much smaller RKMAX (3-4 ?) can be
used. This may make your calculations 100 times faster.

125 k-points: are these the IBZ points (case.klist) - sounds quite too
many-, or what you put as input to  x kgen ?
And as was said before: Of course you should use k-parallelization.

Remember: the benchmark test case has 36 atoms/cell and needs 20
seconds/k-point. Your system is bigger (55 atoms), so make it 100
seconds/k-point.
No Inversion symmetry ?, low packing, .. may cost another factor of 2-4

So this makes ~ 5 min/k-point, i.e. with  125 k-points and 8 cores one
scf cycle should take roughly 1 hour.

Remember the general strategy:
First run with "minimum parameters" (init_lapw -prec 0), check timing
and possible parallelization.
Save the calculation, increase k-points and/or RKmax and continue (never
do a full init_lapw again, maybe use init_lapw -prec XX -nodstart)