[Wien] Wavefunctions and System Hamiltonian

Polatkan, Sascha sascha.polatkan at pi1.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Feb 3 03:15:14 CET 2023

Dear Mr. Blaha,

sorry for the delayed response, but I would like to pick this up again.

I do understand that the Hamiltonian is large and that I have to solve it for every k-point.

If I run a calculation, I end up typically with around 120 bands. Then, if I understand correctly,

I have to solve a 120x120 Hamiltonian for each k-point? That is feasible.

My end goal is simply to calculate things like Berry phases, optical conductivities, electron

densities, and energy bands myself. Also I want to understand the band couplings at arbitrary

k-points. I could visualize these if I had the H_ij(k).

You had mentioned that it is possible to print H_ij(k) (or hopefully save H_ij(k) to a file).

What I had originally intended is to obtain H_ij(k) from the electron density myself, once Wien2k

has finished a calculation, and thus finished approximating the electron density. To do this, it should

calculate some sum of basis functions. If I had the amplitudes for this sum, and the Hamiltonian as

a function of the density, I could set up very custom k-meshes, or recalculate bands on any

machine without access to Wien2k, or visualize different contributions to the energies like exchange

splittings or SOC resolved over k-space...or so I would think. I hope I'm not being naive here.

Trying to implement the latter paragraph is overkill and probably not too useful.

But if you could instruct me how to save the H_ij(k) to a file, that would be very helpful.  Can the

eigenvectors be saved too? They are saved in the case.vector files (I guess?), but these I cannot read.

I do understand that these files are massive, but I really would like to use them.

Kind regards,

SP.

Message: 1