[Wien] Problems ... when calculating the effective U

Karel Vyborny vybornyk at fzu.cz
Thu Feb 16 10:22:39 CET 2023

Dear Yu,
just've noticed the message below... Are you still working with DFT+U for
Fe3Al? I don't think you should take the remark of Laurence Marks (about
using +U only for insulators) as a statement of "absolute validity",  my
own experience is that metals may need it too:

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.97.125109

Even if CuMnAs is a system in some sense "not too far" from an insulator,
I'd be curious to know what conclusion can be drawn for a good metal such
as Fe3Al.

Kind regards,

Karel

PS: Most likely, if you want to do better than DFT for Fe3Al there would
be other ways than DFT+U...

--- x ---
dr. Karel Vyborny
Fyzikalni ustav AV CR, v.v.i.