[Wien] core states in spin-polarized calculations and the open-core method

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 14:13:44 CEST 2023

I think you have misunderstood the code. The lcore -up uses the "up"
potential, similarly for the "dn". That only 1/2 occupancies are used is
just book-keeping in order to not have a different code for spin-polarized
and non-polarized calculations.

As an aside, I don't trust +U  for 4f as it puts them inappropriately low
in energy. You can look at both DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevMaterials.2.025001 &
10.1021/acs.inorgchem.2c04107 . The experimental valence XPS data from many
authors is very clear that the energy of the 4f states is in the valence
regime, at least in oxides. Just my opinion.

--
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University