[Wien] Surface dipole of a metal

sjalali at sci.ui.ac.ir sjalali at sci.ui.ac.ir
Tue Jun 6 18:40:15 CEST 2023

  Dear Prof. Laurence Marks,
Thank you for your additional clarification. I understand that you are
specifically interested in separating the dipole moment from the
mean-inner potential component using the WIEN2k software. However, I
must admit that I cannot fully comprehend this concept, as I believe
that in the bulk of metal, the electric dipole moment should be zero
due to Gauss's law. Nevertheless, at the surface, where the crystal
symmetry is broken, and the environment differs from the bulk, the
existence of a dipole moment becomes possible.

  Currently, I am not aware of a direct method within the WIEN2k
package for separating the dipole moment from the mean-inner
potential. However, there may exist alternative approaches or external
tools that can be employed in conjunction with WIEN2k to achieve this
desired separation.

  Warmest regards,
Saeid.

Links: