[Wien] Strategy for a large slab with SP and SOC

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jun 17 00:28:35 CEST 2023

Dear Prof. Blaha, dear All,

Thank you for the comment on slab strategy, this helps a lot.

I have more specific question: for a large WTe2 slab (60 atoms), which
is a material of low-symmetry that has a polarity also in the
out-of-plane direction, I am getting ghostbands in lapw2 after few
iterations. What is a good strategy to fix this?

I was thinking of:

1. init_lapw -hdlo
2. Low mixing (like 0.05) with PRATT
3. Decrease RMT (from first tests, with RMT 2.5 ghostbands seem to
appear after around 3 iterations, with 2.2 after many iterations)
4. Increase RKmax

3 and 4 are probably computationally expensive...

I did several tests without SOC, I was typically using something like:

init_lapw -sp -b -numk 100 -hdlo -fermit 0.002

Maybe other settings are critical?

Bulk calculation converges very easily (first without and then with SOC)
with default settings like

init_lapw -sp -b -numk 2000

bulk bands look like the literature, and are practically the same with
RMT 2.2 and RMT 2.5.

Best,
Lukasz