[Wien] Strategy for a large slab with SP and SOC

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 08:47:29 CEST 2023

In addition to what Peter said, pay careful attention to how you setup the
slab calculation. WTe2 has a band gap of 1.0 eV, and it may be less with
PBE. I suggest checking your bulk band gap first.

With a small gap surface, TEMPS is needed and getting the positions right
(-min) and a valence neutral surface will matter. You will need to converge
density and positions without soc. If you don't setup the surface right
GIGO and if will be horribly unstable. (STIFF in case.inm may help.) With
GIGO the physics is wrong so your calculations will be meaningless.

---
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu