[Wien] Calculation of surface state using lmbj potential with SO coupling.

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 20 11:20:33 CEST 2023

DFT-D3 is a method for van der Waals interactions, which are not well
described by GGA or mBJ. It has nothing to do with SO, ....

If you have optimized your system in PBE and it "works", you don't need
DFT-D3 (which is anyway often problematic for heavier atoms or TMs).

Am 20.06.2023 um 11:02 schrieb Burhan Ahmed:

> Yes,
>
>  1. I have optimized the bulk cell (with PBE) without so or mbj
>  2. The slab is constructed from the optimized cell. I have generated
>     a supercell 1x1x2 with a vacuum of 40ang and from that a slab of
>     6ql (quintuple layers) is generated. The space group then changes
>     from 166-R3m to 164-p3m1 keeping the same hexagonal cell.
>  3. After that I have minimized the internal atomic position
>     (relaxation) using msr1 method as available in wine2k code.
>
> Now my question is that, I want to calculate the band structure for
> the slab with SO coupling. The steps I have mentioned are the correct
> one or I have to use the DFT-D3 correction. If DFT-D3 is a must one
> for the topological band structure then what modification/new steps
> required for the calculation.
>
> Regards
>
> Burhan Ahmed
>
> *Research Scholar, AUS *

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at