[Wien] [WIEN2k] forrtl IO error in x_nmr_lapw for Heavy metal structures (TlF3, HgF2)

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 12 23:28:09 CET 2023

Once I've seen your in1 file, the solution is probably very simple:

I did not know that you included the 4f states of Tl (near -8 Ry) as
valence.
The nmr code constructs by default NMR-local orbitals up to
"l-exception" + 1, i.e. up to l=4 when you have l=3 states listed in the
regular case.in1

While this is possible, it requires to recompile lapw1/2,nmr with a
modified parameter  LOMAX =4 (param.inc in lapw1, in other codes in
modules - do a search).

This is necessary if you handle 4f elements or early 5d metals, however,
I very much doubt that it is a good idea to include the 4f states for Tl
(with RMT=2.5) as valence.  I would not use  -ecut -11.
All it produces is noise as the 4f convergence can be quite problematic
and SO effects might be of importance.

Best regards
Peter Blaha