[Wien] Terminal closes automatically and the job terminates.

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 13 19:47:23 CEST 2023

I'm using a tcsh. There you would detach a job from the terminal using:

run_lapw ... >& STDOUT &

The job will continue, even if the terminal closes. All output and
errors are directed into a file called STDOUT, which you can view
whenever you want.

There must be something similar for the bash shell.

PS: As was mentioned before: Why are you using 500 k-points for a cell
with 300 atoms ??

There is a good reason to upgrade to wien2k_23.2. The new init_lapw
would automatically choose a reasonable number of k-points. Depending on
the selected precision (-prec 0-3(n)) eventually ONE k-point is enough
for the scf cycle.

Also the RKMAX would be set properly, you probably run with a much too
large value.

Am 13.09.2023 um 18:58 schrieb Pranjal Nandi:

> Dear Member,
>
> Hello.
>
> My WIEN2k version is 21.1
>
> I am running a simulation on a supercell containing about 300 atoms
> which I expect to run for days (2 days maybe).  Using 500 K points.
>
> However, even if I use the nohup command, the terminal automatically
> closes after an hour or so and the job also terminates abruptly.
>
> May I please know what could be the possible reasons behind it? In
> case additional information is needed, please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
>
> With warm regards,
>
> Pranjal
>

> Aquest missatge, i els fitxers adjunts que hi pugui haver, pot
> contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i s’adreça
> exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no consteu com a
> destinatari final o no teniu l’encàrrec de rebre’l, no esteu
> autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo,
> copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si l’heu rebut per error,
> informeu-ne el remitent i elimineu del sistema tant el missatge com
> els fitxers adjunts que hi pugui haver.
>
> Este mensaje, y los ficheros adjuntos que pueda incluir, puede
> contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está
> exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted
> no consta como destinatario final ni es la persona encargada de
> recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo,
> distribuirlo o copiarlo, ni a revelar su contenido. Si lo ha recibido
> por error, informe de ello al remitente y elimine del sistema tanto el
> mensaje como los ficheros adjuntos que pueda contener.
>
> This email message and any attachments it carries may contain
> confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for
> the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. If you are
> not the intended recipient of this message or the person responsible
> for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify,
> send, copy or disclose any part of it. If you have received the
> message by mistake, please inform the sender of this and eliminate the
> message and any attachments it carries from your account.

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at