[Wien] Query regarding wien2k_scratch directory

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 20:26:05 CEST 2024

You *really* should be doing your own searching on this rather than posting
here.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1487330/what-is-a-tracker3-folder-inside-home-cache-is-it-safe

___
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Walter P Murphy Professor Emeritus
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu
else has thought" Albert Szent-Györgyi

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024, 02:20 shamik chakrabarti <shamik15041981 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Also, it is found that *tracker 3 contains all the 12 GB space, *should I
> remove this folder or the files inside it?
>
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 at 23:40, shamik chakrabarti <shamik15041981 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Prof. Gavin,
>>
>>       After invoking all the commands you have listed I have come to know
>> that *.cache *folder contains 12 GB of space. .cache folder contains the
>> followings;
>>
>> event-sound-cache.tdb.bb916188e665483abe367841b820014a.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>>  gstreamer-1.0      pip          ubuntu-report
>> evolution
>>   ibus               thumbnails   update-manager-core
>> fontconfig
>>    ibus-table         thunderbird  yelp
>> gnome-desktop-thumbnailer
>>   mesa_shader_cache  tracker3
>>
>> Is anything removable from this folder to recover the space?
>>
>> with regards,
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 at 00:58, Gavin Abo <gabo13279 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The operating system /var log files I typically would not remove.
>>> Before attempting to remove any of them, I would ask the operating system
>>> experts if it would be safe to do so.  For Ubuntu for example, I think
>>> those experts would be over in the Ubuntu forums at [1].
>>>
>>> The 15 GB is quite large such that I wouldn't expect the operating
>>> system with default logging to instantly cause that but get larger more
>>> gradually over time.
>>>
>>> The du command [2] you might find helpful.  Below is an example.
>>>
>>> First, I looked at the directories in the root folder for seeing which
>>> ones were using the most drive space:
>>>
>>> username at computername:~$ sudo du --exclude=/proc --exclude=/run -csh /*
>>> 0    /bin
>>> 197M    /boot
>>> 4.0K    /cdrom
>>> 0    /dev
>>> 14M    /etc
>>> 2.6G    /home
>>> 0    /lib
>>> 0    /lib32
>>> 0    /lib64
>>> 0    /libx32
>>> 16K    /lost+found
>>> 44K    /media
>>> 4.0K    /mnt
>>> 4.0K    /opt
>>> 56K    /root
>>> 0    /sbin
>>> 3.7G    /snap
>>> 4.0K    /srv
>>> 2.1G    /swapfile
>>> 0    /sys
>>> 164K    /tmp
>>> 6.6G    /usr
>>> 3.2G    /var
>>> 19G    total
>>>
>>> In my case, I'm storing my WIEN2k calculations under
>>> /home/username/wiendata and have my SCRATCH set to the case folders (with
>>> ./) that I put in that directory:
>>> username at computername:~$ grep wiendata ~/.bashrc
>>> alias cdw="cd /home/username/wiendata"
>>> export W2WEB_CASE_BASEDIR=/home/username/wiendata
>>> username at computername:~$ grep SCRATCH ~/.bashrc
>>> export SCRATCH=./
>>>
>>> I can check the space of just the /home directory with:
>>>
>>> username at computername:~$ du -csh /home
>>> 2.6G    /home
>>> 2.6G    total
>>>
>>> I see 2.6 GB of space is being used.
>>>
>>> I check what I have under my home directory:
>>>
>>> username at computername:~$ ls /home
>>> username
>>>
>>> There I see I only have one user account, which is named username.
>>>
>>> I check how much space is being used by username:
>>>
>>> username at computername:~$ du -csh /home/username
>>> 2.6G    /home/username
>>> 2.6G    total
>>>
>>> Next, I check under /home/username to see what the 2.6 GB consists of:
>>>
>>> username at computername:~$ cd /home/username/
>>> username at computername:~$ du -csh * .[^.]*
>>> 4.0K    Desktop
>>> 4.0K    Documents
>>> 4.0K    Downloads
>>> 4.0K    Music