[Wien] Query regarding elastic constants of SnSe2

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Aug 8 16:27:21 CEST 2024

This means,
2nd order  a0 + a1 x + a2 x^2, 3rd order a0 + a1 x + a2 x^2 + a3x^3 and 4th order polynomials a0 + a1 x + a2 x^2 + a3x^3 +a4 x^4  are fitted to the strain data to find the coefficients cij or combinations of cij's.

Note: a 4th order polynomial fit to data with the 5 standard used strains (+2% ... -2%) does not make much sense, as the number of fit parameters (a_i, i=0,4) equals the number of available data n=5.
such a fit will look perfect (the curve will go through all points)  but the uncertainty will be infinite.
A correct determination of accuracy of the parameters, standard deviation, and skewness of the curves will indeed need more distortions than 5 (I guess at least 9 or 11), also the maximum size (+-2%) needs to be checked.
Anyway, one needs to check which order of the polynomial describes the functional dependence well. (Procedures are well described in textbooks on statistics and non linear curve fitting)

If you know about non-linear curve fitting procedures and model functions then you know what those outputs mean and which output to consider.

In all SYMM cases, one calculation is for hydrostatic pressure (not volume-conserving), in that case I would prefer a Birch Murnaghan (or other) equation of state fit instead o a simple polynomial.
(It also will result in more reliable values for the bulk modulus, directly)

I checked the scripts and found that the set_elast script finds the correct space group for compounds with C6 (CdI2) structures from which it should use "symm=R", however it takes the H lattice type from the structure file instead of interpreting
the space group with trigonal crystal system correctly. Therefore, it calculates only 5 instead of 6 coefficients (see textbook of J.F. Nye Physical Properties Of Crystals).
(Note that "crystal system" and "lattice type" are not the same, in general)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Institut of Physics