[Wien] Wannier

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 15 01:41:27 CET 2024

Dear All,

I am interested to project WIEN2k band structure onto atomic orbitals,
but getting complex amplitudes. For example, for graphene Dirac band
(formed primarily by C 2pz) I would get two k-dependent complex numbers
A_C2pz(k) and B_C2pz(k), where A and B are the two inequivalent sites,
and these coefficients for other orbitals (near the Dirac points) would
be nearly zero. Of course, for graphene I can write a TB model and get
these numbers, but already for WSe2 monolayer TB model has several bands
(TB models for WSe2 are published but implementing would be
time-consuming), and for a generic material there is often no simple TB
model.

Some time ago I looked at the WIEN2k wave functions, but because of the
way LAPW works, it is not a trivial task to project these onto atomic
orbitals. This is due to the radial wave functions, each one receiving
its own coefficient.

I was wondering if I can somehow get such projection automatically using
Wien2Wannier, and later with some Wannier program. I thought it is good
to ask before I invest any time into this.

And I would need it with spin, because I am interested with systems
where SOC plays a role.

The reason I ask:
Simple model of photoemission can be made by assuming coherent addition
of atomic-like photoionization, with additional k-dependent initial band
amplitudes/phases. One can assume that radial integrals in photoemission
matrix elements don't have special structure and maybe just take atomic
cross sections of Yeh-Lindau. But one still needs these complex
coefficients to allow for interference of the emission from different
sites within the unit cell. I think for a relatively simple material
such as WSe2 monolayer, the qualitative result of this might be
reasonable. I am not aiming at anything quantitative since we have
one-step-model codes for quantitative.

Any suggestion on how to do this projection (even approximately) within
the realm of WIEN2k would be welcome.

Best,
Lukasz

PD Dr. Lukasz Plucinski