[Wien] strange(?) LOPW - Error

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 29 09:01:53 CET 2024

Dear Gerhard,

This is (at least for me) a well known behavior.

We attach to each local orbital a fictitious plane wave with a k-vector
K. In addition we require that LOs are orthogonal to each other and this
requirement becomes a problem if you have many equivalent atoms (8 Ga in
your case) and high l=2 (makes 5 d-LOs per atom) and a small RKmax,
because then we run out of K vectors.
Maybe we are doing the orthogonality check too stupid and could reduce
the requirements when running over equivalent atoms, but I've never
tested this in details.

In your case, a quick test seems to run through when RKmax = 7.5 or bigger.
Alternatively, you may want to split the 8 Ga in 4+4 , but in such a way
that more symmetry survives and not just in P1.

Peter