[Wien] lapw0 stuck/drained with seemingly no error message upon launching SCF

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 4 08:32:31 CEST 2024

Dear Yichen,

A PdTe2 slab of 60 non-equivalent atoms needs up to 32 GB RAM in 4x
k-point-parallel OMP=2 FM+SOC scf calculation with default settings and
ecut 0.999 on modern i7 intel CPU. This is a very big slab, so for any
typical case much less RAM is required.

On a cluster k-parallel works great if one can solve all the slurm
issues.

I experience RAM leak in lapw1 when calculating bands for a huge mesh
(in my case 2600 k-points) of k-points, but this can be fixed by
granularity (as suggested by Prof. Blaha, depends on type of compiler).
There is no RAM leak in lapwso. Again, 2600 k-points is not typical,
typically one does maybe 100 k-points for bands.

Best,
Lukasz

--
PD Dr. Lukasz Plucinski